RE: How to find a package containing a given executable

From: William F. Dowling [mailto:william.dowling@isinet.com]

> I do this from cron every night:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> cd /usr/local/fromDebian
> DEBIAN=ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists
> wget -o LOG-unstable-contents $DEBIAN/unstable/Contents-i386.gz
> mv Contents-i386.gz Contents.unstable.gz
>
> Then I could do
> 	zgrep gvim /usr/local/fromDebian/Contents.unstable.gz
> or the like to answer the question "where does gvim come from?"

Thanks for the tip - this does just what I want. Actually, I have a potato
CD, which has the Contents file on, so I can do this offline, as well.

Just one other question - I had a problem yesterday with /etc/papersize not
being found. Searching the Contents file got me nowhere, nor did dpkg -S
/etc/papersize on a system with it installed. It turns out that
/etc/papersize is a configuration file for libpaperg, and as such it wasn't
in the list of files installed. How would I find out where this comes from?

Thanks again,
Paul.