Building root filesystem as regular user

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a small single disk linux for my
firewall (and yes, I'm aware of the prefab alternatives, I'm just a
DIY kind of guy =) and I'm wondering if there is a smooth way to
build a filesystem as my regular login. As things are now I need to be
root to give files proper perms. I'm looking for something like
fakeroot but the other way around. Any takers? Or should I redirect
this to the debian-boot list?

        /regards Anton
--
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.