Re: Sendmail from single to multi domain settings

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Erik van der Meulen wrote:

> I have used sendmail for an extended period of time with a UUCP feed for
> a single domain.
> Now I have registered additional domains and I am running into some
> difficulties with my configuration.
> My server is: souterrain.avondel.nl and besides using avondel.nl as a
> mail domain, I also need to use paces.nl and dices.nl. Every user on my
> system has one username at one domain only.
> The receiving end works well, but I cannot prevent that outgoing mail
> gets avondel.nl as domain in the From: header. No matter what I put in
> my mail client. I think I have tried every (combination of) option in
> the sendmailconfig script, without reproducable results.
> My /etc/usr/sendmail.mc currently looks like:
>
> divert(0)
> VERSIONID(`@(#)sendmail.mc	8.9.1a (Linux) 19981026')
> OSTYPE(debian)dnl
> LOCAL_CONFIG
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> Cwavondel.nl
> FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
> FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
> FEATURE(redirect)dnl
> define(`confMAILER_NAME', `postmaster')dnl
> define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `1d')dnl
> MAILER_DEFINITIONS
> MAILER(local)dnl
> MAILER(smtp)dnl
>
> LOCAL_CONFIG
> MASQUERADE_AS(avondel.nl)dnl
> ## Custom configurations below (will be preserved)
>
> FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`genericstable', `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable.db')dnl
> GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/genericsdomain')dnl
>
> define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `30000000')dnl
> define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `30000000')dnl
>
> MAILER(uucp)dnl
> FEATURE(`promiscuous_relay')dnl
> define(`SMART_HOST', uucp-dom:netsystem)dnl

indeed, everything in Cw (local-hosts) will be munged to appear as
if it was the MASQUERADE_AS(xxxx) host

Add the following:
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl                  # rewrite recipient addrs too

and possibly:
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl       # the whole enchilada

> I am not sure if I understand the function of genericsdomain well; does
> it contain domains of the client machines who's mail will be mapped, or
> does it contain names of domains to which sendmail can map?

The former

> For clarity, I would like to give my users a fixed domain, irrespective
> of what they put in their mail client, or if they are locally on my
> machine, use pop or whatever. This domain should be connected to their
> username/password with which they connect to my machine.
>
> I hope this can be done. Any advice is very welcome, I have spent quite
> a bit of time without success to date.

Hope this helps, write if you need more info

And please investigate if you can use a smaller caliber projectile
launcher aimed at your foot - wrt: promiscuous relaying...

--
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon