Re: suid

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 06:38:16AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> /dev/hda2	/windows	vfat	defaults,umask=002,gid=100  0 2

I'd also use the 'noexec' option, so regular files show up as
non-executable.

Also, depending on your preferences, you might not want the fat
partitions to be fscked on boot (especially if they're FAT32 and you
heed the "FAT32 support is still ALPHA" warning fsck gives). If this is
the case, change the 2 at the end to 0.

> you could make everything world writable (bad idea) by changing umask
> to 000 and dropping the gid= option (which would be irrelevant with
> world writable files)

i agree, bad idea! Instead, use gid and add trusted users to that group.
At the least, it'll keep 'nobody', 'www-data', and those other nonusers
from being able to scribble things.

--
  finger for GPG public key.