Re: postgres database framework disappeared

Johann Spies wrote:
  >Postgresql 6.5.3 on a mixed slink/potato system.
  >
  >I don't know how this happened.  Suddenly postgres's postmaster is not
  >running and trying to make it run results in the following error
  >message:
  >
  >There is no PostgreSQL database framework in /var/postgres/data.
  >Run initdb as the postgres user to create it.
  >
  >The directory of /var/postgres/data shows:
  >drwx------   3 postgres postgres     1024 Sep  2  1999 .
  >drwxr-xr-x   3 postgres postgres     1024 Sep  2  1999 ..
  >-rw-------   1 postgres postgres        4 Sep  2  1999 PG_VERSION
  >drwx------   5 postgres postgres     1024 Nov  1  1999 base

The test (in /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postgresql-startup) is:

if [ ! -d ${PGDATA}/base ]
then
    echo There is no PostgreSQL database framework in $PGDATA.
    echo Run initdb as the postgres user to create it
    exit 3
fi

  >I can run initdb and restore the previous day's backup, but how can
  >this happen?  Is there another way to repair it?

The only way I can think that this can be happening is if you are not running
as root or postgres and so do not have permission to read ${PGDATA}.

     "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that
      giveth to all men liberally without finding fault, and
      it will be given to him."          James 1:5