RE: hide the commabd executed from ps,who

On 16 May 00, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>On 16-May-2000 50191914@uxmail.cityu.edu.hk wrote:
>>How can I hide the commond I am executing so that people can't see
>>it from ps,or who?For example,if i use mysql by typing mysql -u
>>myname -p passsword ..people can see my password...So it would be
>>good if I can hide what i am doing from other user...espcially for
>>some program which I can specify my password in command line...
>
>don't put your password on the commandline.  Even if ps does not show
>it, it will appear in /proc.

It is probably also worth pointing out that typing passwords at the
command line is a bad idea in general (even for single user systems)
for previous commands are stored in clear text in the history file.

If you type your password at the command line if someone gets access
to your account that can easily determine your other passwords.

Ian