Re: Installation and startup of SB sound card driver, alsa etc.

"Kevin Whitefoot" <kwhitefoot@hotmail.com> writes:

> I used dselect to install alsu-utils and eveything else named alsa except
> the source.  Ran also-config (or some similar name) and it created a startup
> script.  I ran the script and tried to run aplayer and the other utils but
> all of them say that they cannot open the sound device.  The relevant device
> files all exist (audio, dsp).

Did you compile basic sound support as a module in the kernel?

Then, if you don't have installed the same kernel-image as
appriopriate for alsa-modules-2.2.XX, you should compile your own
alsa-modules from the sources-deb. (cd /usr/src ; tar -xvzf
alsa-sources-xxx ; cd linux ; make deb ; make-kpkg modules_image).

Greetings,
joachim