udf kernel patch

list,

this question isn't exactly one specifically Debian, but since I use
Debian, i figured why not :)
Running a dual boot system with win98, I prefer to use Debian yet there's
one problem; every now and then I transfer files fom distance computers
to my own one using cd-rw discs. Now I've found out there's a patch that
will let me mount UDF media with Linux except the patch is made for
2.2.12 (as from http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/) and I'm running 2.2.14
- with whose configuration i'm really happy - would you say it's okay to
patch it? Honestly I wouldn't know however i suspect that it shouldn't be
done.

thanks for any reply.

gijs