Re: Setting up X

Jay Kelly wrote:

> Here's the problem:
> When I install corel Linux I have no problems getting the Video and Mouse
> working in X, But when I install Debian in the same machine I have no Mouse
> and my video is set at the wrong screen size. Aer the Diamond Vodoo 2000
> compatible with Debian? I couldnt get it to work. I guess I need some good
> Help Doc's to guide me.
>
> Its a really hard switch coming from Windows...............
> Jay

Corel is based on Debian, so if Corel works, pure Debian should work,
but having never played with Corel Linux I can't say for sure.

Actually, command-line Linux should work, no question. It's the X Window
System that is at issue here. It may be that the version of Debian you
have (Ham?, Potato? Slink?) has an older version of XFree86 than what
your Corel Linux has. In such a situation, it's not a matter of Corel vs
Debian, but a matter of which version of X.

To find out which version of X you have (even if it's not yet working),
you can type "X -showconfig". Then you may have to press Shift-PgUp to
scroll up to the top of the messages where you'll see something like
"Xfree86 Version 3.3.6".

I did not see your card listed at http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html,
so it may not be supported. However, almost all video cards nowadays
will work to some extent, such as in VGA (640x400x16colors) mode. It
could be that Corel has tweaked the video drivers to support that card
(which is an argument in favor of commercial distributions), whereas the
default XFree86 doesn't yet support it. However, rather than take this
as gospel, I'd do some more research before giving up on it. (Can
someone else on the list verify/deny the compatibility of this video
card?)

The mouse is less of an issue. If it works in Corel Linux, it will
almost certainly work in straight Debian. It's just a matter of getting
it properly configured.

Both problems (video and mouse) are probably solvable; you probably just
have the wrong settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config (which is THE file that
will make you or break you).

How have you tried to set up X? Did you use "xf86config", or
"XF86Setup"? Try using the other tool; sometimes one will give better
results than the other one.

As to the video settings, sometimes the /etc/X11/XF86Config file has
several workable settings for your card/monitor pair. In this case,
pressing Ctrl-Alt-MinusKeyOnTheNumPad will cycle through the available
"resolutions". Try it; it may do nothing; it may throw your system into
a setting that your monitor can't handle (which could damage your
monitor, but most new monitors have built-in protection for this sort of
thing); in such a situation, pressing Ctrl-Alt-PlusKeyOnTheNumPad should
get you back to your previous setting, and in case you can't get out of
a wacko video setting, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace should kill your X session,
where you can start over again.

What type mouse do you have? Is it a serial mouse or a PS/2 mouse (or
something else)? Where do you have it plugged in? What does the "Section
'Pointer'" in THE file (/etc/X11/XF86Config) have in it?

And yes, some aspects of installing Linux are much harder than
installing Windows. However, having been a Windows support technician
since the 3.1 days, I can easily say that some aspects of installing
Linux are much easier than installing Windows. And with Linux, at least
I have consistency instead of doing the same thing trying to install a
driver in Windows four times in a roll and failing only to have it work
on the fifth time. Keep plugging away; it'll eventually fall into place.
Respond to these comments/questions and we'll be that much closer to a
solution for you. (I suggest you keep the Debian-User list in the
address, so that other more informed people can respond rather than just
relying on my limited knowledge/experience.)