Please help - strange networking problem...

Hello!

Until recently my computer's only network connection was via cable mode to the
net as follows:

3Com 3C905B (3c59x.o) = eth0 connected to cable modem.

#cat /etc/network/interfaces:

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hostname <cut>

This setup worked fine. Now I also want to set up a small lan; for that I
bought a D-Link DFE-530TX, which uses
via-rhine.o. The module loads fine (as eth1)

I added

iface eth1 inet static
	address 192.168.0.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0

to /etc/network/interfaces. Because I'd like the lan to be on eth0 I swapped
the eth numbers and saw to it that
the via module was loaded first in /etc/modules. So far, so good - no error
messages anywhere until I try to bring up
the network...

#ifup eth1
#ifup eth0

works. If I reverse the order and up the lan-side card first, eth1 won't come
up. (Operation failed) Same thing for
ifup -a, so it won't work at boot. I even undid the device swapping - no
effect.

As soon as the static card is brought up, the dhcp one will cease to work,
regardless of device naming. It's fine the other way around...

Does anyone know why this is and possible what one can do about it? I had
intended to configure the lan-side network first, because then I'd have been
able to use it even if I was getting timeouts from the MS DHCP server.

Many thanks

Christian