donut is dead, long live the donut

I have a reasonably current woody system, named "donut".  In a fit of
bravery mixed with stupidity, I was playing with 'hdparm' to try to
improve disk performance.  I must have broken something (and caused
MASSIVE FILESYSTEM CORRUPTION; hdparm(8) seems overly paranoid),
because I wound up having to reboot and things massively failing.

The problem: the BIOS looks at the hard disk, proclaims "operating
system not found", and does nothing.  I can reboot using a slink
rescue disk, and get into my system that way.  This isn't the most
happy thing in the world, though, and I'd really like the system to
work correctly.

I've tried reinstalling both LILO and the Debian MBR.  Neither
'install-mbr' nor rerunning 'liloconfig' seems to have had an effect.
Is there some important little piece of information in the boot sector
that's gotten lost?  Are there any other hints for dealing with this
type of situation?  Should I just reinstall (not a major disaster, at
least if I wait until after my finals)?  TIA...

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell