Getting Gnome to run (unable to bind port 16001)

I'm trying to configure a point-and-click Linux installation for a
friend of mine. I have been trying to get Gnome running, but to no
avail...

>From gnome's docs it seems like all it takes is to put "exec gnome-wm"
into X initialization file. I am using wdm, and suspect that it could
be more difficult than that. The installation is a brand-new install
of Potato.

So far I tried three approaches:
1. Chosing "failsafe" (only an xterm displayed, no window manager)
   from wdm, and trying to run gnome-wm from there. I get an error
   "Unable to bind port 16001".
2. Adding "gnome-wm" to the selection of windowmanagers in
   /etc/X11/wdm/wdm-config. This didn't work, and wdm just starts the
   previous windowmanager.
3. Put "exec gnome-wm" into ~/.xsession. This yeilds nothing.

Any suggestions? Like I said, the system is stock Potato with gnome
and the rest installed by apt.

On another note, is gnome-panel an application? I.e. should there be
an executable with name "gnome-panel"? I installed the gnome-panel
package, but the executable with this name is nowhere to be found.

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.