Re: Scrolling with a Wheel Mouse in Netscape

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 12:47:31PM -0700, Eric Hagglund wrote:
> Got on Collas Nahaboo's Wheel Mouse web page. I was
> able to use the information on it to get my xterm to
> scroll previous output, but I'm still having problems
> getting Netscape to work. The information on Collas'
> page said to add some lines to /.Xdefaults, but I find
> no such file on my system. I tried creating an
> .Xdefaults in my user directory, but this had no
> effect on Netscape.

Hey I did this today :)

> (BTW, the link to imwheel, the application that is
> supposed to allow the wheelmouse to work with legacy
> applications, no longer exists or has apparently been
> page-jacked by some out-of-work programmer who likes
> bragging about having reinvented Chinese Checkers and
> posing bare-chested with samurai swords (I'm not smart
> enough to make this up, you'll have to see for
> yourself). )

You don't need imwheel for netscape (but as and alternative it does
work.  I've used it before but I'm not using it now).  Do a search at
freshmeat.net

> Does anyone know the correct procedure for enabling a
> Wheel Mouse (specifically a Microsoft Intellimouse
> manufactured for Gateway) in Netscape?

Same mouse as myself.
Make sure Emulate3Buttons is disabled in /etc/X11/XF86Config
Here's my (working) mouse pointer section of same

Alan.

# Pointer section
#

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "IMPS/2"
    #Protocol    "PS/2"
    #Protocol    "Intellimouse"
    Device      "/dev/psaux"
    ZAxisMapping 4 5

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#    Protocol	"Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

#    BaudRate  9600
#    SampleRate	150

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)
  #  Emulate3Buttons
  #  Emulate3Timeout    50

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#    ChordMiddle

EndSection