Re: /dev/hdd irq timeout?

I had two encounters with this error:

first having an ibm drive, which was spinning down after 5 minutes, that
annoying behaviour wasn´t changeable even with hdparms :/

then another hdd (a seagate iirc) started dying with this error; I think
that happens when the drive moves data to other places, most newer drives
have some spare space where they can move the data off bad sectors to,
completely transparent to the application/os.

I wouldn´t worry _too_ much, just a full backup once or twice a day...

hth,
&rw

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:29:53 CDT, w trillich writes:
<...>
>hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>hdd: disabled DMA
>ide1: reset: success
<...>

--
-- Blessed are the pessimists, for they make backups.

--
/ Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> | Phone: +43 1 89933 0 Fax x533 \
\        KPNQwest/AT tech staff        | Diefenbachg. 35   A-1150 Wien /