Re: Upgrade to 500MHz problems

John <joney@clara.co.uk> writes:

[...]

> The problem with shutting down Debian still remains. APM now works
> with Windows, so I presume it must be something to do with the
> M'board as you suggest. My knowledge is very limited - any
> suggestions as to where I should go from here.

You may be able to upgrade the BIOS: check the motherboard
manufacturer's web site.  Alternatively, very recent kernels have a
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF configuration option.  "Recent" doesn't
seem to include 2.2.14, but does include at least 2.2.15pre9 and
later.

Presumably it's in the 2.3 kernels, too, but I'm not feeling
sufficiently brave to run one of those.  2.2.15pre15 seems to be
working fine, though.  There was, once, also a separate patch for
earlier kernels; there doesn't seem much point in searching for it
now, though: just get one of the 2.2.15 prepatches.