2 newbie questions

I have a boca-research modem which is PNP compatable but debian can't detect it. Do I need to manually set the jumpers for and open COM and IRQ for it to be recognized?

2nd: I am having trouble getting xwindows to work properly. When I run xf86config and set the card for SVGA, my monitor blanks and I get nothing, the main problem is I cannot get linux to reboot without entering xwin at startup which means my screen blanks at startup and I can't rerun config w/o wiping everything and starting over.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Peter