Re: anyone using devfs?

Ben Collins wrote:

> You need to make sure devfsd is started up before anything else. Try
> installing this devfsd package I've setup:
>
> ftp://marcus.debian.net/pub/debian/devfsd_1.0-1_i386.deb
>
> Should allow you to boot with no problems.

Thanks Ben, but I forgot to mention in my original post that these are
Alpha's, so the i386 deb won't work. I did dissect your deb though and
ran your postinst script, thus installing your init script in
/etc/init.d and creating the symlink in /etc/rcS.d. The machine boots
now, thought I still get the;

chmod: /dev/tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]: No such file or directory
chown: /dev/tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]: No such file or directory

errors when booting. I can log in at the console without any problem,
though periodically I get;

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

messages scrolling up the screen. I have no virtual consoles other than
the one I log in on. Any attempt to log in remotely is met with;

[shaunc@SC-Laptop shaunc]$ rlogin SC-Cluster-10
Unable to determine your tty name.
rlogin: connection closed.
[shaunc@SC-Laptop shaunc]$

SC-Laptop is my laptop (running Red Hat), and SC-Cluster-10 is the Alpha
machine (running Debian) on which I'm trying to run devfs. A similar
message results from an attempt to telnet into the debian box.

A look in /dev shows a whole pile of tty* type entries, all symlinks to
various nodes below /dev/vc, i.e. /dev/tty0 -> vc/0, there's also a
whole bunch of pty* entries, which are links to various nodes under
/dev/pty.

Any ideas?? Is this a libc issue now??

Shaun

--
Shaun Cloherty
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering