trying to inatall Debian off CD-problem

Hi, I am what you would call I guess a new Linux user,
and I have been running into some problems installing
debian on my computer.

The installation runs fine, up until I want to include
the module for my cd rom (philips LMS 206 w/ LMS 260
card) to continue installing of the cd.

some of the errors I receive that seem important are
as follows:
cpio:invalid header: checksum error
cpio:warning skipped xxxx bytes of junk (where the xxx

    does not seem to be constant)
invalid compressed data --crc error
cpio: premature end of file

can't open /lib/modules/2.0.29/modules.dep

it then proceeds to execute the module post-install
script
and finally spits out the message :"Installation
failed"

other times I also get the message
/lib/modules/2.0.29/cdrom/cm206.0:unresolved symbol(s)
  "   "          "   "       "   :unresolved

symbol:register_cdrom
  "   "          "   "       "   :unresolved symbol:
                                   unregister_cdrom
  "   "          "    "      "   :unresolved symbol:
                                   cdrom_fops

In short, I can not gain access to the cd rom (except
through booting from dos)

The HOWTO's describe a file cm206 that can be seen but
I can't seem to find it anywhere.

My computer is a 486dx66, clone, with a dos/linux
partitioned hard drive.

the cm260 card is currently set up for IRQ-5, and io
address=300.

Any help on this would be very nice, thank you.

Ben