apt-get usage

This is silly, I should know this.

How do I tell apt-get to forget about a past forced installation.

For example, I install `smtm' from potato on slink.  It depends
on perl5 but I know it'll mostly work anyway.

But then, any later usage of apt-get tells me:

# apt-get install eperl
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  smtm: Depends: perl5 but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

How do I get past it?
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada