Networking weirdness

Trying to network my Debian 2.2/Corel Linux box to my ATT@Home cable modem.
Failing.

No trouble getting my Mac and my Windows box to talk to the modem, but the
same settings fail on my Linux box.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure everything is set right on my Linux box. Apart
from them all being the same as the settings on my other computers, I can
turn the activity light in my modem on by trying to ping the gateway.

Furthermore, I'm reasonably confident about my understanding of how to set
up networking in Linux, because I can get Linux talking to my other two
computers just fine, including setting up Windows 98 as my NAT service
(shudder!) for Linux.

On top of all that, the cable modem has a 10.x.x.x address, and I have no
trouble pinging it, and I can set up Windows 98 as the gateway just fine.

So here's the question: what could my Linux box possibly be doing so that it
can talk to my PC, my Mac, my cable modem, my PC as its gateway, but not
AT&T's cable modem gateway? I'm pretty sure that it's something about how
Linux is trying to talk to the gateway.

An alternative question that might help is: I understand how to use route
and ifconfig to set this stuff up, but what sort of IP diagnostics are
available to me to work out what's wrong?