Re: Voodoo 2 in Linux

    > Hey,

    > My friend is thinking about buying a Voodoo 2, but I told him I
    > should make sure it will work in Linux.  I had heard that the
    > Voodoo 3 is hard to set up in X Windows.  Will the Voodoo 2
    > work?

With a Voodoo 2, you will of course still need a 2D card, so as long
as your 2D card is supported by your X server, it will be fine.  To
get 3D to work, there is some mucking around you have to do, like
installing the device3dfx modules.

Voodoo 3s are supported by Xfree86 3.3.6, so I don't think it will be
a problem.  I've been running one for over 6 months, and have had no
problems.  Setting up the X server was a simple as running Xf86config
and looking through the card database.

I believe that Xfree86 4.0 has more specific support for Voodoo3s, but
I'm know running it, so I can't tell you.

my 2bits.

Marshal