Re: No masquerading in stock kernel-image?

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 12:32:03PM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:

> Forgive me if this is a faq....
>
> It seems like masquerading is not turned on in the stock kernel-image
> packages. Is this true or am I forgetting to load a module somewhere? If
> it's true, does anybody know why that decision was made?

I have no clear answer for you, Joe, but something similar happened for
me, and other debian-user folks seemed puzzled about it at the time.
I'm wondering now if this might be an effect of having a prior
configuration file on the premises when installing a new kernel. (?)

Because of a variety of problems I had during install, I ended up
booting from a hard disk I'd installed 'slink' on almost a year ago --
and the next thing I knew, I had the version of 'potato' that was
current in early March telling me "IP Masquerading is not enabled in
the kernel."

On advice of not-so-newbies, I proceeded to custom-compile a version of
that kernel, and got Masquerading operational.  Now, with the recent
kernel upgrade that's become available in the past week, Masquerading
is still working, for me -- so, either the latest kernel has it
switched 'on' by default, or the configuration files on my machine after
the custom-compile had a beneficent effect. :-)  Dunno which.

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."