Re: configuring a base system

Once upon a time, I heard Phil Howard say

> > it. REMOVE it or RENAME it. then boot as usual, you might need to edit some
> > files in /etc by hand since you start unpack it manually :)
>
> Since there is no documentation covering this, I need to find out just what
> things Debian might need to have configured beyond the what I could presume.
> I'm sure I can manually start the networking.  Configuring Debian's own
> network files would be new to me, so I'd have to go exploring to do that.
>
> Anyone have a list or some other document about this?
There is a brief doc in

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/572.html

Basically what you need to do is to
1. remove /sbin/unconfigure.sh
2. fix /etc/fstab
3. fix /etc/hostname
4. fix /etc/resolv.conf
5. fix /etc/network/interfaces (apt-get get upgrade will give you new example)
6. fix /etc/modules
7. fix /etc/localtime
8. may be more .. you will find out :)

I think that's almost everything you didn't do when you skip using boot floppy.

Chanop
| Chanop Silpa-Anan                 <Chanop.Silpa-Anan@faceng.anu.edu.au>     |
| Australian National University                                              |
| got sparetime ?                                                             |
| http://kenji.anu.edu.au/                                                    |
|          Debian GNU/Linux           GPG key on request                      |