configuring a base system

I was referred to the base system files in a file called base2_2.tgz.
I loaded them onto a partition and tried booting, but it wants me to
configure them ahead of time.  What needs to be done to do that.

This machine has no floppy drive or cdrom drive.  It does have a
rescue partition on /dev/hda1 and the target partition is /dev/hda2.
I'll redo it later with multiple partitions but for now I'm getting
my feet wet with Debian and checking for actual sizes an stuff to do
more planning.  Anyway, /dev/hdc1 has a mirror of the potato release
from the rsync site, and my plan was to point apt there to finish
the install.  The install instructions indicated a disk to disk
install could be done, but didn't say how.  So how?