Re: xstart or startx?

LordStormCrow@aol.com wrote:
> Hello everyone, I'm new to LINUX. So for I have one question. How do I
> install X?

Assuming you are using Debian and have access to an archive with software (a
set of CD's or an ftp connection to a server) it should be fairly easy to
get X up and running.

First of all you got to be root (su and enter password).

Then you want to install the task-x-window-system pseudo package which
installs a set of packages essential to X. So

apt-get install task-x-window-system-core

...or use dselect ("select", find the package with /, type + to mark it for
install, enter to proceed).

During the install you will probably be prompted to configure your X-server
(which handles making X show on your screen). For an easier to use
configuration tool you could try XF86Setup, which can be installed as
mentioned above as well.

Once X is up and running you would like a window manager. I suggest
WindowMaker (issue this command to install it : apt-get install wmaker).

Good luck!

/Christian