putting ipchains rules in /etc/diald/ip-up ?

The latest netbase messed up my system so that I cannot do anything on the net
until I do a '/etc/ipchains.rules stop' followed by '/etc/ipchains.rules start'

I removed just the IP Masq rules and put them in /etc/diald/ip-up in order to
fix this but that did not work, so what I did then was not start the rules
when the machine reboots.  I put '/etc/init.d/ipchains.rules start'
in my /etc/diald/ip-up  and things seem to work now.

Was that a good fix or a bad one?  I can post my ipchains rules but I did not
want to make for a very long post to the entire list.

thanks

--
Andrew