Re: ssh keys keep changing.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 11:22:35AM -0500, John Davis wrote:
> Hello
>
> I keep getting HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!  errors.  How do I prevent
> these errors and how do I ensure
> that my machines are not under attack from someone?
>
> On one machine, I get this message everytime I connect to it.  I have tried
> to reinstall ssh via apt-get remove/install ssh,
> and I still get the error message everytime.

Reinstalling ssh won't solve the problem as some simple reading would
make clear.  See below.

> suit:~$ ssh mrfan
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @       WARNING: HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!         @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
> Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
> It is also possible that the host key has just been changed.
> Please contact your system administrator.

[ start paying attention now :) ]

> Add correct host key in /home/davis/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this
> message.

Try following the directions given here.  Take a look at your
~/.ssh/known_hosts file and make sure the key for mrfan listed in the
file matches the key on mrfan.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/