Re: what is /etc/network/interfaces and if.up and if.down?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 10:05:51PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:
> As if I were not confused enough, now I need to get rid of /etc/init.d/network

no you don't, just leave your existing /etc/init.d/network script and
ignore this new undocumented method.

> and use this new /etc/network/interfaces, but I cannot get it to work.
> This is what I have done with it:
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>      address 192.168.1.1
>      network 192.168.1.0
>      netmask 255.255.255.0
> #     broadcast 192.168.1.255
>      up route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>      down route del -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0  eth0
>
> Do I really need the broadcast line?  I have always used one, but I wonder if
> it is needed.
>
> Is there documentation for this newfangled way of doing things?

apparently not, im trying to hold off judgement until there is real
documentation (and they bother to replace the default interfaces file
that contains `this is completely unstable and does not work') but at
first glance it brings back flashbacks of redhat's horrible
/etc/sysconfig mess.  frankly it looks to me like this is just a
concoction to satisfy that miserable linuxconf program then
anything... if that is what it is ill just rip it out on all new
debian installs and do it the old way, which works just fine.  but you
know the old saying, you should always break it when its not broken.

now where did i leave that lighter...

--
Ethan Benson