Re: Changing keyboard from qwerty

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 11:19:14PM -0800, wah wrote:

> I have been trying to set my keyboard to be configured to German. I loaded
> the keymap (de-latin1*, or de.map) with loadkeys, but some of the keys,
> namely the non-english chars, don't work. But when I run showkey, they do
> work.
>
> I don't know what is wrong? Anyone have any ideas?

Are you trying to set keymaps for the console or for X.  AFAIK, they're
handled seperately.

For console:  loadkeys <mapfile> (usually run as root).
For X:        xmodmap <mapfile>

To get the German keys you are looking for, you will want to try either:

    loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de.kmap.gz

    xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.de

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)