iproute questions

I have problems using iproute. Maybe there's anyone on this list who knows
some details I cannot find in the docs:

1) How do I get traffic control running? I tried running the example script
from the package but only get RTNETLINK error messages. This might be
because I have to enable another kernel option. But I have no idea which.
ip for instance works fine.

2) What do I have to do to get NAT going. It's easy if the official number
is routed by my router. But is it possible to run NAT with an IP number not
routed by the router? That is if my route is 1.1.1.1 can I use 1.1.1.2 as
NAT address?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

Please CC me on replies.