Re: xscreensaver

All the solutions proposed so far on this thread will help you get
xscreensaver working for your logon account. If you admin this box you may
also want xscreensaver to blank the xdm login widget screen. If you don't
use xdm you may be able to apply the knowlegde to the other XDMCP
compatible display managers, e.g. gdm. See the Using XDM section in the
xscreensaver man page. It's quite a ways down, so you may have missed it,
and very simple. It's a long man page! It discusses the use of
xscreensaver in the context of xdm managing your display. Works like a
charm for me. You can also extend some of the knowledge contained there to
apply APM settings so that your system could go into power saving modes
with the login widget or any user logged in. BTW, -no-splash is a good
option for transparent use of xscreensaver. Each individual user can
configure their use of xscreensaver using xscreensaver-command and APM
using xset.

Jason