Re: Exim: frustrations configuring a satellite system

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 12:19:33PM +0100, Jean Orloff wrote

> Well, you see how cumbersome it can be: I sent the orignal message yesterday to
> users@lists.debian.org (which does not exist). I got no warning that the
> message never arrived, but being cautious, I figured it out by myself this
> morning. So I reposted the message to the correct address, still leaving
> "users@lists.debian.org", to which you blindly Cc'ed. Did you receive a notice
> that your Cc never arrived?

>  Henrique> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Jean Orloff wrote:
>  >> So there is a difference between the way Exim sends outgoing mail depending
>  >> on whether it receives it from an SMTP session or from the command line
>  >> (presumably a different "ENVELOPE-FROM" in the connection
>
>  Henrique> [...]
>
>  >> this difference, but I am tired of trying. And most of all, I cannot
>  >> believe I am the first to encounter this problem! There must be a much
>  >> simpler solution...
>
>  Henrique> No, you're not. I had this problem, and also lots of headaches with
>  Henrique> exim not being able to handle user-extension addresses
>  Henrique> (user+extension@domain) rewriting in some situations (which cannot
>  Henrique> be fixed without changing exim code. I asked in the exim ML ;^) ).
>
>  Henrique> I know this is not what you want to hear, but ditching exim and
>  Henrique> installing Postfix in its place solved the problems.  I do all three
>  Henrique> of your requirements here with Postfix (NOT the default
>  Henrique> configuration. You'll need to configure the thing by hand, as there
>  Henrique> are no helper scripts... but at least the FAQ and docs are
>  Henrique> good). Postfix doesn't have very powerful rewriting capabilities yet
>  Henrique> (exim does have them), but what it already has is good enough for
>  Henrique> me.
>
> Sendmail envelope masquerading has also been working for me for 2 years. But
> Sendmail is a bit heavy for the type of occasional use I want it for, and since
> Exim is kind of the default debian MTA, I switched back, recovering the
> headaches I had 4 years ago with smail (apparently a grand-father of Exim?).
>
> I might give Postfix a try, if nobody has an Exim solution, which I would
> consider grotesque! If Debian can't do better for personal mail than a stupid
> Windblows system... We're talking about lost mail here, so this pretty
> critical!

I can't reproduce your problem here and I'm not sure why, but
it seems to me there are two things you can try.

1:  Add an MX record for debiansat.domain.net pointing to your
    smarthost, and add "debiansat.domain.net" to local_domains
    on the smarthost.  Mail for debiansat.domain.net originating
    on your smarthost or from the internet should be delivered
    on your smarthost as local mail.  This will work if the
    users on debiansat.domain.net also have accounts on your
    smarthost, and you control the delegation for domain.net.

2:  Add the option
      header_remove = "sender"
    to the smtp transport on your smarthost; if it also acts as
    a smarthost for other machines that do have routable names,
    you can create a new smtp transport with this option and use
    it only for mail from debiansat.domain.net.  This should
    work, but it will remove any sender header from outgoing
    smtp mail (which is why you may want to only use it for
    your satellite system).

HTH,

John P.
--