Re: Is frozen's ppp broken?

I had the same problem. What happened is that the latest version of ppp
now includes ppp-pam, so ppp-pam is removed when upgrading to ppp
2.3.11-1.

However, there was an entry in /var/lib/dpkg/diversions that I think was
supposed to be removed when ppp-pam was removed but wasn't. In fact I
saw an error message flash by to that effect during the upgrade. The
entry in /var/lib/dpkg/diversions looks like this:

/usr/sbin/pppd
/usr/sbin/pppd.ppp-pam
ppp-pam

That apparently causes /usr/sbin/pppd to be renamed to
/usr/sbin/pppd.ppp-pam when installed. Not completely understanding this
at first, I manually deleted those 3 lines and then reinstalled ppp
2.3.11-1, which then installed the binary /usr/sbin/pppd. After that
everything worked OK. Actually, I later realized that /usr/sbin/pppd and
/usr/sbin/pppd.ppp-pam are the same file - so I just deleted the
pppd.ppp-pam copy.

Here's the files that ppp installs in /usr/sbin according to 'dpkg -L
ppp'

/usr/sbin/chat
/usr/sbin/pppd
/usr/sbin/pppstats