Re: Segmentation fault

Thanks, Pete

I see from further investigation that gcc wants me to be more actively
concerned with memory management than was required under Visual C, and I was
logging on to apologize for bothering the list. I posted because this code
ran cleanly under Visual C, so I thought I ran into a Linux nuance

It looks as though I was running into problems when trying to scan an input
file using c notation which is less efficient of memory, so I'm in the
process of revising all of the I/O to use c++ resources. Still, it comes as
a surprise, but I'm very early on the gcc learning curve

This is a large theoretical problem I was attacking so my initial preference
was not to alter anything that didn't requiring fixing, but the code is
certainly cleaner after reworking

In general, I am beginning to notice that gcc's posture is that you do more
for yourself. It also seems to be strictly limited to ANSI c. For example,
there doesn't seem to be any support for min, max, and itoa and I ended up
writing/rewriting that portion of the code

BTW, I notices that my non-working install of XFree86 3.3.6 (?) is also
generating Segmentation faults, suggestive of bugs in the newest release.
I've posted this to their developers

Is there a separate users group for gcc?

David