Re: PPPOE, ipmasq, and news - Fixed!

From: "Marc Sherman" <msherman@myrealbox.com>

> > I have a debian box running pppoe and ipmasq set up as
> > a router/firewall for a home network.  I have a Win98
> > machine behind the firewall.
> >
> > I can't read news on the win98 machine (using my ISPs
> > news server, news1.sympatico.ca).  I've tried a number
> > of news clients (OE5, Free Agent, etc) on the win98
> > box - this seems to be a problem with the ipmasq, I
> > think.  I could read news on the Win98 machine fine
> > when it was connected directly to the ADSL modem,
> > running its own PPPOE driver.

It turns out that the MTU on the windows box was
not set correctly - the default was too high for
use with PPPOE.  Manually setting it to 1400 worked.
I'm not sure why this would only cause problems with
news, but if I really wanted to know that much about
windows networking, I wouldn't be installing debian
on the other machine in the first place... :)

- Marc