Re: ARGH! "Frozen" is back....

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 01:44:48PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:

> > Why not just point apt at the *name* of the release that you want?
> >
> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
> > deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib
> non-free
> >
> > This way you don't have to worry about it.
>
> Well, you see, my sysadmin style is very "short attention span". I manage
> about 10 Debian boxes and I like to keep them up to date by doing the
> following:
>
>   run dselect
>   [U]pdate... clear available list...
>   [S]elect... and then just hit <return> to make sure we select any
> newly-required debs.
>   [I]nstall... download all, install, remove installed....
>   [C]onfig...
>   [Q]uit
>
> All in all, this usually takes about 5 minutes of my attention per machine
> per update. Also, since I always want my machines on the bleeding edge, I
> always want the latest of whatever's available. If I just pointed dselect
> and apt to "woody" instead of "unstable", then, in about a year, I "woody"
> wouldn't be the latest dist anymore. (I mean, that's the whole reason the
> "stable", "frozen", and "unstable" symlinks are there in the first place,
> no?)

For someone that wants to stay bleeding edge at all times, I would
not have made the recommendation that I did.  The person I was replying
to did not say that they wanted bleeding edge, and I made the presumption
that they did not want bleeding edge.  The message I was replying to
sounded like they wanted to stay with one particular release - *that*
is why I said to point at an actual release name.

If, on the other hand, they had stated that they wanted to stay bleeding
edge at all times I would have told them to point apt at unstable and
have cron run a script containing:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
at whatever interval suits them.  Or do it manually as you do.  Whatever
method works best.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"