PPPOE, ipmasq, and news

I have a debian box running pppoe and ipmasq set up as
a router/firewall for a home network.  I have a Win98
machine behind the firewall.

I can't read news on the win98 machine (using my ISPs
news server, news1.sympatico.ca).  I've tried a number
of news clients (OE5, Free Agent, etc) on the win98
box - this seems to be a problem with the ipmasq, I
think.  I could read news on the Win98 machine fine
when it was connected directly to the ADSL modem,
running its own PPPOE driver.

I can connect to other news servers (such as
pyramid.sjgames.com) from the win98 machine; the
problem seems specific to the sympatico server.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I
can try to solve this problem?  Thanks,

- Marc