Re: time/date problems

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 10:52:47AM +0000, Ed Cogburn wrote:

I wrote:
> > if you must have correct time in windows you will have to reconfigure
> > linux to keep time in local time instead of GMT. [...]
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 	This isn't exactly true.  You can keep your hardware clock on local,
> and you can tell Linux to use local time (keeping it from messing
> around).

that's what i said see above ;-)

> Linux does not set my hardware clock to GMT at shutdown, it
> sets it with local time, which is what I want because I use ntpdate to
> update date/time every time I bring up a net connection.  Sure,
> setting up GMT is the Unix(TM) thing to do, but why bother?  It knows
> my timezone, handles daylight savings automatically, and it stays
> accurate thanks to ntpdate; nothing wrong with using local time.

I don't think Linux will adjust for Daylight savings unless the
hardware clock is in GMT, otherwise it would just end up being a race
condition with the broken OS also installed (why else would you have
your HW clock set to local time?) (at least iirc)

--
Ethan Benson