[Q] history list in bash

According to ''man bash'', the builtin 'history' can be used
to display or modify the history list -- however I can't seem
to find any description on how to modify an entry in the list.

In my history list, I'd see some entries marked with an '*'
which according to ''help history'' indicates a history item
having been modified, but I don't have any idea how those
items came about, and I want to be able to deliberately make
the change.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  TIA.

--
Boryeu Mao [bmao@raven.pnu.com]