Re: Module upgrading question

Quoting Carel Fellinger (cfelling@iae.nl):
> Hating to reboot I wondered what the proper and Debian way whould be
> to upgrade/add modules. I want to add audio htat's all, no changes to
> the kernel. If I would use make-kpkg kernel_image and install the
> generated kernel.deb could I then add the audio module with modconf
> without rebooting?

There's no need to install the .deb if it's the same kernel version.
Just copy the foo.o file (using ar & tar or mc) out of the .deb into
the appropriate directory (i.e. where it came from in the .deb).
The run depmod -a to get its dependency inserted and modprobe it if
you want it now.

If you do install the .deb, you'll have to ignore the dire warnings
about having to reboot, as it assumes it's trashing your old
/lib/modules directory, which it isn't if you've included all the
previous modules this time around. But do run lilo in case the kernel
itself has moved.

You don't even need to build a whole kernel if you're careful with the
switches and headers. (I have a bash function compilemodule() for
compiling my own modules, but it's still 2.0.x so I won't post it.)

Cheers,