Re: Problems compiling kernel 2.2.12

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:41:41AM -0400, Wayne McLemore wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	I am a first time writer and I'm looking for a little help. The problem is
> I'm trying to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.12 and after I do the "make dep,
> make clean and make zImage" my machine tells me this:
>
> -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686   -fno-omit-frame-pointer -c -o sched.o sched.c
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> make[2]: *** [sched.o] Error 1

Signal 11 usually means memory is gone screwy -- if you overclocked, you
overclocked too far. You should clock your CPU back down a bit if you
overclocked it any, you should slow your RAM timings down in BIOS, or you
should run a very comprehensive memory scanner on your machine to ensure
that all your memory is good.

Compiling the kernel traverses huge trees in memory, making a kernel compile
one of the best system sanity-checks I know about. Any wrong bits in there,
and then the compiler jumps to the wrong spot, etc.. and gives up with a
signal 11.

There is an entire signall 11 FAQ out there someplace, I forget where it is
though.

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!