Gateway E-4200 install probs

I'm trying to install slink on a Gateway E-4200 (PIII 400).  This is
a testbed install, eventually to be an entire lab.  I've had no problems
installing to an older E-3200 (PII 300).

The problem is that the network card (3COM 3c905.c) isn't recognized.
When I select the appropriate module from the network drivers menu, insmod
fails (device not found).  I've switched to another VT, and dmesg shows:
"Unrecognized 3COM PCI device type 9200 detected. Leaving unconfigured."

I'm sure of the card type (I've opened the case and read the numbers on
the card).  I've also tried different configuration options (basically all
the ones listed).

Any help appreciated.

--
Regards,
Steve

Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 Reboots are for kernel and hardware upgrades.