Re: dselect broke when updating to potato

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> > The other day I updated my system from slink to potato, and now dselect
> > and apt are broken. First off, if I go into dselect and choose Access,
> > Update, or Install, it exits out to the shell with the error:
> >
> > dselect: unable to access method script
> > `/usr/lib/dpkg//methods/charset/setup': Not a directory

I fixed this problem. I looked in /usr/lib/dpkg/methods, and noticed
everything in that directory was a directory except for charset, which was
a text file. I moved it to /tmp, and then dselect started working again.
So I guess a wrong file got installed at some point in the potato update.
I just grepped in /var/lib/dpkg/info to try to find "methods/charset", but
didn't find anything, so I have no idea what package broke it.

Ed