Re: undelete for partition tables?

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Instead of me trying to cover every possible detail now (which is
> impossible anyway), I suggest you try following my procedure and try to
> account for the differences in your situation as you do it. If you have
> specific questions or problems, feel free to ask. If you really want to
> do this, you are going to have to get into this up to your eyeballs
> anyway  - I can only try to get you started.

Owing to work, we were unable to work on this until Friday evening but I'm
happy to report at least partial success.  My colleague bought Norton
System Works 2000, the latest version.  The version of DiskEdit in there
does support >8GB drives.  It also has a menu command for linking in a
partition that safely adds it into the partition table for you.  Any way
the root partition was toasted.  But apart from the files in /etc it
didn't have anything much that  couldn't be replaced.  The all-important
/home partition came through fine. /var seemed to be fine when mounted
read-only but when I tried to mount it read-write, the kernel complained
that the ext2 file system had unsupported options.  In the end what I did
was to tar it up, erase and remake the filesystem and recopy the files
again.  Now the only remaining problem is the /usr partition.  On trying
to mount it I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda6,
       or too many mounted file systems

e2fsck has a -b option that will restore the superblock from backups that
are kept throughout the file system but you have to give it the number of
a sector which contains one.  Do you know what the signature of a
superblock should be?

If worst comes to worst we will just blow it away and reinstall.  There is
nothing in /usr that can't be replaced.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>