Re: [OT] How to make a "critical section" in user program?

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:

> >  > Is it possible to make a part of my program a "critical section", so that
> >  > during execution of this part of code my program can not be suspended?
> >  > I'd like to be able to send a data through the serial port at the known time,

Jumping in late...

Linux is faster than your serial port is.  Unless you are using a very
slow (386) computer you will not have trouble with that.

Do you really need the signal sent out the serial port at *precisely* such
a time or do you need to just guarantee that you don't miss things.  If
you need that precision you probably have to use RT/Linux.  Otherwise you
shouldnt have trouble.

> I agree, but what about the root's processes?

Root or not root, it's all the same for this.  You need a kernel module
for non preemptable code.