Re: X Login Fails

Kent West wrote:

> However, from your question, it sounds like you might be a bit
> (understandably) confused about the term "server". With X Window, there
> are basically two parts: the server (or "engine"), and the client. If
> you're coming from the world of MS-Windows, you can think of the server
> as being the Program Manager or Explorer (not Internet Explorer). This
> is not really accurate, but it's close enough I think. The clients
> "ride" on top of the server. One of the most important clients is the
> window manager (wm). Other common clients might be an xterm window, or
> Netscape Navigator, or xclock, etc. You can sortta think of the server
> as being equivalent to MS-Windows, and the clients as being equivalent
> to the apps that you run on MS-Windows (including "built-in" apps like
> "My Computer" or "Notepad"). Again, this isn't entirely accurate, but
> it's probably close enough.

BTW, using X Window, you can run a server on a different machine (even a
MS-Windows box!) and then run the X clients from your Linux box on the
different machine over the network. For example, say you have Netscape
on a Linux box, on the internet, in your work place, and you go to visit
your cousin in Iowa for a month. You could install a Windows-based X
server on his Windows machine, telnet to your office Linux box, and then
run your Netscape and control/see/use it on your cousin's Windows PC.
(It can sometimes be slow over a dial-up link, but it works!)