Re: cluster size

Jim B wrote:

> What command can I use to find out my drives' cluster size?  I know I can
> specify what I want to use when I [c]fdisk, and that the default is 2 KB I
> think... but I would still like to know how I can find this information out.
> There must be some program that will tell me this... no?

For Linux e2fs partitions, the command 'mke2fs' is used to format the
partition and optionally set the block size using the -b block-size
option. The block size for e2fs is basically the equivalent to the FAT
file system's cluster size. The default is 1024 bytes, at least for the
partition sizes I use. See man mke2fs or man mkfs.ext2

You can use a utility like dumpe2fs (from the e2fsprogs package) to dump
information about the e2fs file system on any particular partition into
a text file like this...

dumpe2fs /dev/hda1 > hda1.txt

...and view it in a text editor. It will display much information
including the block size. See man dumpe2fs

Tom