Re: General kernel questions

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 09:12:11AM -0500, David Kanter wrote:

> I wanted to customize my kernel over the weekend, but after looking at what I assumed to be the current kernel configuration (i.e., the options selected when viewing make xconfig), I was left with some questions.
>
> For instance, during boot-up I get the PPP messages. But in make xconfig, PPP ability is turned off---the radio button selected is "n," not "y" or "m." In fact, I think all modules are turned off in make xconfig.
>
> How can this be? Why am I able to use PPP (via pon or wvdial) when
the module isn't apparently there? However, during installation, I did
select PPP as a module. I'm quite confused.

Maybe you are not booting the proper kernel. Try to do the following:
	dmesg | grep "PPP"
If it return something, you have ppp in the kernel. You are making
something bad in the build/installation of the kernel.

Do 'lsmod'. If you notice that ppp is there is a problem about modules. Check
into /lib/modules/<kernel version> and delete the ppp.o. Perhaps you
don't have enabled ppp as a module, but kmod or kerneld could be able
to load any older module from there.

Bye.