Re: Getting involved

*- On  9 Sep, Thomas Malloy wrote about "Getting involved"
> Is there any way for a non-programmer to be invloved in the Debian
> project?  Perhaps there is a program to train newcomers to help maintain
> simple packages?   The increase in the nuber of applications suggests
> that developing a way train new hands to help out would be a good idea.
> If no official training program exists, what are the first steps that I
> could take myself.  In my own case although I don't program yet, I do
> have a unix job so I am fairly technical, and I have been using debian
> for years.
>

> Tom

Take a look at http://www.debian.org/devel/help for some basic steps to
getting started.  There is a debian-mentors mailing list for new
developers to get help from current developers.  Right now there is a
major backlog of developer applications(several months worth) and rumor
is that no new applications will be processed until after potato(2.2)
is released.  The best way to get started is to take over a package that
has been orphaned, see
http://www.debian.org/doc/prospective-packages.html for a list of
packages.  You can also help the X Strike Force team with testing
components of X, see http://www.debian.org/~branden/#whatis.  If you can
translate documentation/web pages into any language that is not
currently available that is also needed, contact
mailto:webmaster@debian.org.

--
Brian