laptop/docking configuration

Okay- This removeable modem at ttyS2 brings up some other questions and ponderables:
  (And damn again, I've just realized that the mwave modem doesn't work unser linux, but is
it detected?)(PS- anyone know ehre to get the cables for pcmcia modems?)

  I've got a laptop with a formatted 512 meg hd- this has a fairly light swap (about 30 meg)
and slink.
  I've got a docking station with a scsi interface, a scsi drive partitioned into another 40 meg
of swap/472 meg of ext2, a scsi cdrom, and some bonus dealies like keyboard/mouse ports
and such.

  The question is how to configure all of this-
Step one is the kernel: There appears to be lots that is unneeded in there- like pci and that
stupid built in WD7000 scsi card that mmy boot-up can never initialize; isdn, eata_dma (???),
and eata_pio (???)
  Make menuconfig doesn't do a lot here, I can't find some of this stuff at all. Guess I'm
RTFM'ing for another couple of weeks....

 One kernel, or two? I could, I suppose, have LILO setup to allow booting from the kernel
on hda2, and put one on sda2 (in the docking station) for when I'm docked and have more
swap enabled, as well as built in scsi tailored to the system.
 Or can I do this fine with one kernel and a script to run when I'm docked?

  (And what about filesystems? How well will it work to put the majority of my docs on sda2
and link them to the directories for the rest of the docs? I'm a bit lost on this one.)

Step two is the devices. I need to have setup for an eventual network card (in the docking
station), various pcmcia devices (PS anyone know how the Click! works under Linux?), the
scsi, and keyboard/mouse. With one kernel, I have to have a lot of scripting done to load
everything when I'm docked....

Step Three is software. But I'm not even close to that point yet.

ta,
Koyote